Sunday, August 27, 2006

Robert's Gift

At Martha Cooper Library we have a group home for boys just half a block down the street. They are in and out two or three times a day--playing games on the computers, checking out movies, and occasionally picking up a book (often a comic book or Manga).

Robert is a shambling bear of a boy--maybe 15 or 16, coke bottle glasses, a black brush of hair, a yellow Sponge Bob t-shirt that doesn't quite descend to his pants and perptually looks as if it's three days from its last bout with a washer. His pants are baggy and held up by friction--sometimes you have to wonder whether gravity will eventually win out over friction. One glance from the rear tells you the lad could have a career in plumbing.

He's also just a little bit slow and needs help on virtually every foray through the doors.

Tuesday, hands behind his back, he came up to the desk while I was issuing a library card, leaned over, and said, "I've got something for you."

I acknowledged him and asked him to wait just a bit until I finished with the gentleman at the counter. He did--never moving from his spot, smiling quietly.

When I finished, I turned to him and said, "Okay, Robert. What've you got?"

He grinned as he brought a crumpled Whataburger bag out from behind his back and said, "I saved you half my triple meat burger and a few fries because you are always so nice to me and help me with the computers and stuff."

I can’t tell you how moved I was. For Robert to save half a burger would, on the face of it, be a major sacrifice. I thanked him and put the bag in the back.

Later on, I got a chance to take a look in the bag. There was half a triple meat burger all right—mangled, munched, well-gripped, and generally looking lucky to have survived the fate of the other half.

I have to smile even now when I think of it. Robert gave me a gift that day, but it was much more than half a burger and a few fries.

Robert gave me a sweet, funny reminder of why I’m doing what I’m doing—it’s not just about books and computers and dvds and talking books. It’s about touching and enriching the lives of the people in my community.

15 Comments:

Blogger heiresschild said...

wow dale. what a beautiful, touching story. if it wasn't real, it would surely make for a good life story.

what a beautiful heart robert has to think of you while he was probably so hungry that he wanted to devour the whole sandwich. but the fact that he was willing to sacrifice half of his sandwich and some fries shows the kind of heart he has and how he feels about you.

it also shows the kind of person you are--giving of yourself, selfless, thinking of other's needs. we all know by now the kind of person you are from blogging with you all of these months.

you and robert both are so blessed to know each other, and to have been in each other's lives.

the Bible tells us how man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart. robert looked on your heart and showed his love and appreciation to you thru that half-eaten, crumpled sandwich and fries, but you show your love to him and others every time they come into that library and you give them the appropriate help. thanks for sharing this here with us. beautiful story.

hope your studying is coming along. i believe when we reach out to others, God gives us the grace to do what we need to do. have a great evening, my friend.

my word verification is xncks. makes me think of snacks. goes good with studying. *LOL*

sylvia

7:37 PM, September 06, 2006

 
Blogger willemina said...

Hi Dale :)
That was a very touching story...thanks for making me smile tonight...what a wonderful world we live in and I thank God for letting me be a part of it...

9:59 PM, September 06, 2006

 
Blogger Dale Savage said...

Dear Showgirl, Sylvia, Willy, Franny, and Ada,

Thank you all for your kind words. I was nearly floored by Robert's gift. It was so unexpected.

It made my day for several days--as your comments here have!

ciao,
Dale

1:34 PM, September 07, 2006

 
Blogger Belizegial said...

Dale, here I am at the tail end of a bad work day and your story has made me smile.

I know how hard it is for teenage boys and girls to share those burgers and fries. They do prefer to have it all to themselves. Some sacrifice indeed for him to share his food with you.

As Sylvia already mentioned, he looked at you and you showed him your heart. Keep up the good work!

10:18 PM, September 07, 2006

 
Blogger heiresschild said...

dale, i think ada had a good idea here. you should really think of sending this off to a magazine or even a newspaper for publishing. i know you don't do things for recognition, and robert didn't do what he did for recognition either, but it's such a beautiful, heart-warming story, i just think, like ada, it should be shared.

sylvia

8:57 PM, September 08, 2006

 
Blogger heiresschild said...

hi dale, how's your studying going? finished running your errands? what's for dinner? have a great evening.

sylvia

8:29 PM, September 13, 2006

 
Blogger heiresschild said...

dale, you are officially invited to our tea social tomorrow. peg would like you to bake some teats. check out my blog for what she's talking about.

sylvia

8:35 PM, September 15, 2006

 
Blogger Dale Savage said...

Ummmmm, Sylvia, I'm not really sure I should bake anything like that! Might be a good way to get into trouble. LOL

Dale ;-)

9:45 PM, September 18, 2006

 
Blogger heiresschild said...

oops, i meant "treats." now will you bake those? *lol*


sylvia

8:19 AM, September 19, 2006

 
Blogger beachgirl said...

Wow Dale what a story. It restores my faith in man kind. And shows what an awesome human being you are.
We ladies might just have to come out to Arizona and kidnap you.

12:39 PM, September 23, 2006

 
Blogger Dale Savage said...

Carol, Thanks for the kind words. I think I may be blushing!

RE the kidnapping... I'll leave the light on. ;-)

Dale

10:38 AM, September 25, 2006

 
Blogger beachgirl said...

Dale you may just need a well earned vacation to Florida.
Some beach time, some fishing. Yes Dale, we wear shorts year round down here.
Hope your day was awesome.
Carol

8:36 PM, September 25, 2006

 
Blogger lightfeather said...

found you by way of deb seroni and glad i did. this was an awesome story! and real!! thank you.

10:12 AM, October 22, 2006

 
Blogger Dale Savage said...

Thank you for your kind comment, Lightfeather. It was a very special thing and touched me. I hope your day's a great one!

ciao,
Dale in Tucson

12:03 PM, October 22, 2006

 
Blogger PiquedOff said...

That's a sweet story.

2:07 PM, November 02, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Life is so filled with a number of things, I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings! -- Robert Louis Stevenson